By Shankey Bhardwaj, Stylist, Fashionandyou.com
‘This the season to be jolly… No doubt! And with all the revelry and festive fervour in the air come a lot of parties and get-togethers with family and friends. If you love entertaining, we show you how to do it in impeccable style. Here’s the entire lowdown you need to make your and New Year parties this year an affair to remember. Deck up your home with these easy tips and rejoice in this most jubilant time of the year!
- Get the basics right: For a party that celebrates the yuletide cheer, it is imperative to have a checklist of the basics and to get them right. A Christmas tree that suits the size of your home, the mandatory tree decorations such as miniature Santas, candies, a little angel atop the tree, balls and decorative lights should definitely be on your list. A wreath for the front door, mistletoes, stockings, and glittering stars across the home, a little confetti and you’re done!
- Accentuate the festive feel: Once you’ve ticked off the traditional essentials, it’s time to showcase your exceptional flair for aesthetics. Infuse natural accents all over your home to give it a perfectly Christmassy feel. Place pinecones on tables or cranberries around candles for that extra oomph to impress the guests. Scented candles add the right dash of splendor to the environs. If you have a staircase in your home, don’t forget to wrap a Christmas garland across the banister. Delicate lanterns in green and red placed in corners of the home offer the perfect soft lighting effect!
- Add definition with a center piece: Whether you’re throwing a Christmas or a New Year party, this one will come in handy. Add definition to the room with a large decorative balloon in the centre. You can also fill this up with confetti, sweets and mini-chocolate bars. Burst the balloon at midnight and usher in the New Year with goodies for everyone!
- Glam up the bar or buffet: Food and drinks make up the centre of any party, especially those that you host at this time of the year. After all what are the holidays without some mulled wine and some roast goose? Your bar or buffet will be the cynosure of all eyes so dress them up accordingly. Jazz them up with a glittery table spread that goes all the way to floor. The flowing drape will enhance the glamorous feel. Place small metallic stands with tea light candles in them for a more stylish, mellow glow. The difference, after all, lies in attention to detail!
- 2016 Candles: We love this idea as it’s so easy to execute but looks so great and innovative. Get thick wax candles and rub glue all over them. Now smear glitter of different colours on each candle. From a black sheet of thick paper, cut out each number of the upcoming year. Stick one number each on every candle after the glue dries up. You can place these candles by the bar or on any other centre table. Light these up as the clock strikes 12 and add to the excitement of bringing in the New Year with your near and dear ones.